Martial Arts Training vs. Gym Workout™
Is it really gym workout works? My name is Master Mehrdad Khan Moayedi and I have been involved in Martial Arts training and fighting for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old now and still an active fighter, I also train hard twice a day, I am also planning to get back in to the ring to fight for few more titles in Art of Muay Thai or Shin Do Kumaté, and possibly compete in a MMA fight in my age of 48. Let’s first talk about me and what motivates me to do this every day for all these years. I call it the power and discipline of the spirit, what I have learned all these years training in traditional Martial Arts Dojo and not wasting my time in a gym life style. I have developed a passion to continue to train and better myself physically, mentally and spiritually every day. I am not against gym workouts, any kind of workout is better than nothing, but if you have the choice I would suggest you train in a professional and traditional Martial Arts studio that is run by a well experienced Martial Arts master or Muay Thai Kru teacher, not kids who bought his/hers belt or a key board champion. Training in a hardcore dojo is a more effective training regiment for your body and mind, plus you learn fighting and self-defense techniques along with gaining a great physique at the same time. Here are a few tips that will help you understand better the difference between Martial Arts training vs. Gym workout:
1. Learning the skills of Self-defense, especially for women in dangerous situation is crucial in today’s society. Versus just lifting weights all day (what are you going to do pick up a dumbbell or Kettlebell and hit somebody in head). Good luck with that. Check this video in this link and make your own decision: (Home invasion caught on a Nanny-Cam) http://youtu.be/dvvHMM6TF50
2. Whether your law enforcement or just a regular person learning how to fight, you gain the right skills to be able to a handle a very dangerous situation on the street.
3. Gain confidence about yourself and built a strong aura. Awakening your spirit through Martial Arts training and meditation will help ease your stress levels that come with everyday life.
4. Walk away learning the Philosophy of the Art and mastery in your chosen Martial Arts field; it is a great life achievement. You would never learn that in today’s commercialized martial arts studio across North America. “Make the right Choice”
5. When you are training in Martial Arts you learn the proper way to stretch your body which will help you become more flexible then if you stretched yourself on your own every day. Not only will you learn proper self-defense and true Muay Thai techniques you will also get in the best shape of your life. Everything you see today that it is so popular in the fitness industry comes from the far eastern philosophy such as Martial Arts, Yoga and the Art of Muay Thai. I was doing this stuff back in the 70’s.
6. In Martial Arts you learn meditation and how to calm your mind as well as how to strengthen your spirit (Shin). You will also develop a positive direction with your goals in life. With a Teacher or mentor to follow (Master or Sensei) you learn to become strong and unstoppable. With a Gym Workout you are only training one aspect of life which is your outer physical appearance with no positive direction or any mentor to help guide you when you need someone most.
7. You see so many people in the fitness industry go to a weekend workshop and come back and become a fitness instructor. I have witnessed so many people in America gain Yoga instructor certification or a guy goes and lifts Kettlebells and then gains his certification. In my industry I have seen kids call themselves martial arts masters or do a few amateur fights and all of a sudden he is a Muay Thai teacher and training fighters. It is all about the mighty dollar and scamming the people.
It is so essential for more people like me to come out and teach the young people, kids or women to understand the beauty of Ancient far eastern Martial Arts as well as understand how important it is to have strong direction in life with pure motive to help others. This is my journey to help and tell everyone to wake up and don’t waste your time to help franchises and corporations make all the money. Get back to the roots and be smart with your choices. There is only one way to train and that is with hardcore proper workouts. Find a great positive school with great people in it and wonderful spiritual teacher who knows his/hers stuff with a good solid background that will take you all the way. Training is not about short term goals or making it fun, it is way of life.
People make fun of martial art training in America because they think martial art is Karate and there is only one form of martial arts out there. When in fact there are many different types of martial arts, each with its own beauty and power. Much of the martial arts in America today are much commercialized and it produces a lot of cocky and arrogant people who are non qualified ranking students or instructors. This is my experience living in America since February of 1987 and seeing the development of martial arts here in North America. I am not trying to force my idea of martial arts as the only way to train. Rather I am trying to show how a good martial art background will get you healthy and strong as well as giving you other wonderful benefits that you can use in all aspects of your life. Martial art today has been profiled as MMA, which shows two fighters in a cage bashing each other into the ground. This holds no honor or technique and is not martial arts but is a bar brawl. MMA only produces bullies while martial art teaches you how to stand up to a bully and to be strong with you are. We are exposed today to so many new ways to exercise and everybody has a new idea on how to get into shape in the quickest way possible. These are all a hoax. There is only one way to achieve your goals and that is to train hard and never give up. I believe Martial Art is the best way possible to achieve all of these goals because with traditional martial arts you develop your body physically and spiritually all with perfect unity.
By: Master Mehrdad “Persian Warrior”